Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Staying Home


The first six weeks of Charlotte's life I was able to stay home from work and spend all my time with her. I had asked James not to leave my side before my mom came to visit, but once she had gone back to New Mexico, I was truly on my own with Charlotte. I thought I would be overwhelmed and exhausted and freaked out--but it came pretty naturally. That's not to say that I didn't have a few melt-downs, but they were short lived and we all survived! That's better than I had hoped for! One reason it seemed easier than I anticipated, is that Charlotte slept a great deal of the time. That notion that you sleep when the baby sleeps is BS however. I cleaned, did laundry, stared at her, took care of bills, made phone calls, stared at her...

By four weeks something changed overnight. She developed COLIC. Oh my God. It came on like thunder and we are still dealing with the nightly "mini-nervous breakdown" as my pediatrician puts it. Amazingly, we have become conditioned to the crying and it's not nearly as aggravating as one would expect. Hmmm...That and when it really gets bad we walk outside with her and inevitably one of the neighbor ladies volunteers to hold her. (THANK YOU)

Here are some favorite pics of our time together at home--and some of Daddy too.


Sleepy baby, happy Mommy.


Happy Daddy too.

We call her "The Conductor" because she loves to flail her arms around like she's leading a grand orchestra.

This musical toy appealed to Charlotte--but if I hear "Oh, Susannah," or "Rag Time Gal," one more flippin' time I'm going to lose it.

Daddy's eye view.

Notice the "Angel" onsie?


Bath time. This was literally the day that she turned colicky. Everything seems calm ...

This is the first smile caught on camera and one of the first she did for me. She had smiled for Daddy and our neighbor already.
She loves her quilt! She has begun talking with it on a regular basis.


Posing before we go to the neighborhood baby shower. She stayed asleep the whole time!

No comments: